heeeeeeeeeeelp!

 

Posting days: Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

 

The sun has been extraordinarily bright for several days now so we have stayed at home. I miss meeting my dog walking friends. But there is no point in taking Isis to the park when she is so afraid of the strong shadows.

On Thursday she plays happily in the garden. It is good to see that she spends much less time twirling nowadays and much more pursuing ‘normal’ dog activities: trotting around, breaching boundaries, fighting pruned branches and twigs, following scents and running up and down.

 

This is good. I'm bored with tearing up compost bags.

This is good. I’m bored with tearing up compost bags.

 

It is almost dog’s tea time. Suddenly, she races into the kitchen twirling and pawing frantically at her mouth.

She has been digging and her beard and whiskers are filthy. They are coated with soil which has formed thick clumps around her mouth. Are the clumps irritating her? Has she been stung? Her mouth is open. I can’t see anything inside. I  soak a cloth and wipe around her mouth. She bites me – hard.

As I pause to tend to my dripping index finger, she continues to claw at her mouth frantically. She is obviously frightened and in great discomfort. After another couple of minutes, she stops. Just like that. Can’t have been a sting then, can it?

Five minutes later I offer her her meal. She eats it as though nothing has happened. Perfectly calmly.

I am still whimpering over my bitten finger. She walks up to me and stops and looks at me for about a minute before going outside.

Then I see it. A bit of stick on the kitchen floor. I pick it up to examine it. It’s straight and strong and about seven centimetres long. The bark has been chewed off. It’s wet and sticky.

The stick must have been jammed in her mouth. No wonder the poor little creature was so distressed. Fortunately there’s no blood on it and she seems fine now. Maybe the force of biting me dislodged the stick. Clearly, I have my uses.

I have thick gardening gloves in the car in case of canine emergencies. I must buy some for use in the house too.

 

Isis came from the Aeza cat and dog rescue and adoption centre in Aljezur, Portugal. For information about adopting an animal from the centre, contact kerry@aeza.org or  www.dogwatchuk.com

This entry was posted in deaf/blind dog plays and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to heeeeeeeeeeelp!

  1. Ambers says:

    So sorry you got hurt! Watch for signs of infection – my friend’s dog bit my index finger very seriously once – I lost the nail, and got an infection that was moving up my arm. I have a story here: my dogs love to chew shrubs, they can take bushes (including thorny rose bushes!) down to the ground. I noticed one day that Josey’s breath smelled worse than usual. After another couple of days, you could actually smell a foul odor emanating from her from several feet away! But of course, she wouldn’t let anyone look in her mouth. I took her to our Vet, and she wouldn’t let him look either, so he kept her for the day, put her under,and lo and behold there was a stick stuck in her mouth spanning from one side to the other! It was infected, and she could have died if it went untreated much longer. That Josey, she could get in some messes 😊. Whenever she acted “off” after that, we would joke that maybe she had “stick mouth” ☺️

    Liked by 1 person

    • Thanks for the sympathy. Must admit I did feel a bit sorry for myself. We have a pot of Sudocrem in the kitchen and that seems to pre-empt infection. Yours sounds horrific.
      Josey sounds even sillier than isis!

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s